It’s taken a while, but I’m back on track now. Using the individual chapter documents I used to build the main document (the one I lost), I’ve recreated chapters 1 to 4, and re-edited them.
Except it is not quite what I had before. I remember being quite pleased with the editing I had done. This time I’m not so happy. It’s not the same for a start. It was so frustrating reading the unedited version and recognizing where I had changed things, but not remembering what I had changed it to. To a certain extent it coloured my re-editing because I was concentrating, perhaps more than I should, on the areas I remembered changing.
Anyway, I’ve got the first four chapters edited, and though not entirely satisfied with the result, will now press on with the rest of Part One. I’ll come back to them when I’ve finished recreating the entire document.
The annoying thing is, it’s taken over a month to redo a weeks worth of lost work. There’s a lesson for us all.
Over the course of this weekend, I’ve edited chapters 5 and 6, and incorporated them into the main document. I’m now faced with a problem. The chapter document for chapter 6 also included a version of chapter 7. In addition to this I have four other files for chapter 7. I remember not making use of the most recent one, which was experimental. It’s a long chapter so I guess I’m going to have to read them all and try to decide which I like the best, and which fits more into what follows in chapter 8 and 9. Perhaps I’d better leave chapter 7 for now, and come back to it when I know what has to have happened.
Taking a month to recreate a weeks worth of edits seems rather a long time, but admittedly, I have also changed laptops during that period. It’s taken a while for me to get familiar with Windows 10 and customize it so I’m happy with it (sort of). The process involved, amongst lots of minor changes, upgrading from Open Office 3 to Libre Office 5 (and trying to convince Windows I don’t want to try Office), setting up Mozilla Thunderbird to replace the Windows Live Mail I used on Windows 7 (the Windows 10 email client is not a patch on the Windows 7 one), replaced McAfee antivirus with a free one (AVG)(Mcafee isn’t straight forward to remove and I’m still not sure I got it all).
I don’t like the lack of colour customization within Windows 10, compared with 7. I prefer something easier on the eyes because I spend so much time looking at the screen. I used to have pastel colours, and the brightness turned down. (Last Windows 10 patch whacked the brightness back up to 100% – what’s the point in giving us the option to change it if they overwrite our changes?) With regard to the colours, at least Libre Office lets me set a better colour scheme for its applications, and I spend most of my time in it.
When did a program become an app?
One reason for changing laptops is that the old one kept running out of memory (I used to have lots of windows open, and lots of IE tabs going). It had become quite a problem in the last few months, causing me to reboot more frequently that I would normally.
The other reason was, I’ve been using it daily for 7 years. The C drive kept filling up, necessitating lots of tidying up to keep things running.
And the keys were losing their letters. See the photo. People used to complain about my keyboards in the office when I was working because I’d rubbed all the letters off the keys. Must have acid fingers or something!
Think I need to make more use of the q, w, y. j, k, z, x and v keys. Prepare for some characters with some strange names!