While I wait for the proof copy of the paperback to arrive I’ve started playing around with KDP. I signed on and created a new title.
I was presented with a lot of information about Kindle Select and did I want to enrol the book on it. Cue long deviation while I googled what it was and what people thought of it. In the end I decided to go with it. I think it will open up my book to more people, ie those who subscribe to Kindle Unlimited (who may never actually buy a book) and those who download from the Kindle Owners Lending Library through Amazon Prime (who again may never buy a book). In terms of royalties, if such people downloaded my book I would be eligible for a cut of the Kindle Select Global Fund, probably a negligible amount, but at least it’s better than nothing and it would help get my name out there. They are also allowed to write reviews.
Kindle Select also gives the opportunity to have free promotional days and promotional discounts. Not sure if I’m interested in this just yet.
The downside of it all is that it is a 90-day rolling program so I need to enrol every 90 days, which fortunately is automatic (if I understand it right). The other downside is that I can’t have any other digital versions of the book anywhere, ie it has to be exclusive to Amazon, which means I can’t put excerpts up on my blog while it is registered for Kindle Select. But I can live with that.
Anyway I filled out all the fields on the first tab, title, author etc, uploaded the cover and uploaded the html document I had created from OpenOffice.
I then went into the online previewer which displays what the book will look like on the following devices:
- Fire HDX
- Fire HDX 8.9
- Fire Phone
- Kindle Voyage
- Kindle DX
- Android Phone
- Android Tablet
I think I need to go through each one to make sure they look ok. I was hoping I would be able to download a version to my Kindle Paperwhite and preview it there but I can’t see how that can be done.
My initial playing around with the preview highlighted several areas that need some attention (whether I can do anything about them or not, I don’t know yet).
Paragraph indents. Some devices show the first paragraph of a chapter as having no indent, followed by subsequent paragraphs having an indent. I have no problem with this. It is how I formatted the document. However, some devices have the first paragraph with an indent, and some show an indent twice the size of subsequent paragraphs. It seems inconsistent.
Spacing between paragraphs. I specified none, but some devices show a distinct gap. I have no objection to it as it appears to be on the larger devices anyway, but it’s a bit annoying when it comes to the table of contents which ends up being spread across three screens.
I need to review the location of my table of contents (particularly with regard to the devices that spread it over too many screens).
I might close up some of the gaps on the copyright page to try and make it fit on one screen of all devices (if possible)
I need to convert internet addresses (for my blog and email) to hyperlinks
I seem to have lost the bookmark for the table of contents
Otherwise it doesn’t look too bad. I’m going to research some of the above and decide if there is anything I can do about them, so it might take a while. Also I need to go through each device carefully to see if there’s anything else that needs attention. By the time I’ve done all this, the proof copy will have arrived from CreateSpace and will be sat gathering dust until I’m ready to look at it.